It has been an insane few months. Between travel, getting sick, the holidays, traveling and being sick again…life has been tough to say the least. And sometimes getting dinner on the table is not as easy as I would like it to be. So I have a few recipes that are my go to that can cook in the oven while I run after my newly walking toddler.
I blogged this recipe a year ago and it was all the rage in my Facebook group. You can see the original post here. As with all my Make Over Monday posts I always try and recreate the dish with either a different recipe or picture. In this case, the recipe was perfect, however the picture leaves much to be desired as you can see in the original post…yuck can we say too much Instagram. The story however is perfect and I like to give credit where credit is due…
I actually did not create this dish all on my own so I cannot take credit for it. I came over to our friends house on a Saturday afternoon to take my girlfriend shopping with me. As I entered the house a smell permeated my nose that I can only describe as roasted goodness. My friend Alex was making lunch for his twin boys while his wife got ready for some shopping escapades with me. In the oven he had these simple drumsticks cooking up. And then I see he poured wine into the roasting pan and shoved it back into the oven. When he offered me some, I gladly had three drumsticks along with his twin boys.
“Wow this is really good!” I said to him.
“Yea? You think so?” He asked me rather surprisingly… He then gave me a little cocky smirk and walked away. Nice. Give men one compliment and they are suddenly the Iron Chef. Nonetheless, I came home that night after several hours of shoe shopping and decided that in order to make my hubs look past the 3 new pairs of boots that I just had to have, I needed to distract him with some food and fast! So I made him this very same chicken. The result? He did not question the boots… Not one pair.
As a side I made these really incredible roasted veggies. Easy as can be and ridiculously healthy. If you are like me and cannot stand cauliflower give this a try. It gets caramelized and still has a crunch to it. Just make sure you cut it up each floret in quarters so they actually have sides. The sides will get nice and caramelized.
BY THE WAY: This recipe is also posted at Southern Fairy Tale Mouth Watering Mondays!
As I said this is super easy. First preheat your oven to 450-degrees. Season your chicken with Cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Stick them in a roasting pan, use the foil kind for super easy clean-up.
Cut up all your veggies and toss with salt, pepper and olive oil. Roast for 20-30 minutes making sure to turn over every 10 minutes. And cook for 20 minutes. Then pour in 1 cup of a good red wine into the pan. Done. Dinner is served.
- 2 pounds of chicken thighs or drumsticks or both
- Cajun seasoning of choice
- Lemon pepper seasoning of choice
- Salt and pepper to season
- Olive oil
- 1 cup of a good red or white wine
- 2 large carrots sliced on the bias
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into pieces as pictured above
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees
- Season chicken with Cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, salt and pepper on both sides
- Place in an oiled pan with higher sides and slide into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Toss cauliflower and carrots with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes then turn so that both sides get color. Roast 10 minutes more.
- After the chicken had been in the oven for 20 minutes, add wine on the bottom of the pan. Cook for 10 more minutes or until juices in chicken run clear
- Once vegetables are fork tender, sprinkle the fresh Parmesan on them.
- Plate chicken with some of the pan and wine drippings in the pan. Enjoy!
By: Mila Furman